Kekkon Shoya no Deathloop Chapter 2



Chapter 2 Loop 0-2



After the wedding ceremony, a party was held at Duke Vrag’s castle.

Since everything happened so quickly, I had thought that it would just be a small party attended by close family and friends, but that didn’t seem to be the case.

The castle was a large compound made up of 3 large buildings that stood side by side. Between the left and right wing was a splendid courtyard at least double the size of my parent’s house. And the buildings were built in such a way that it surrounded the courtyard in a 'U' shape.

The largest hall in the castle where the party was held was the most extravagant thing I’ve ever seen.


「Look, Theresa. There are even paintings painted on the ceiling of this hall.」
「Lady Katrea, please stop behaving so carelessly.」


The maid, Theresa, reminded me. Hmm, feels like something similar had happened before.

Anyway, this hall was so large it’d be possible to fit the entirety of my parent’s house inside.
...I’m so pathetic I can only use my parent’s home as a comparison. Despite the vast size of the hall, its ceiling was filled with intricate and elaborate paintings of angels. And some columns and walls were decorated with golden statues. The interior was lined with white tables adorned with silverware as the servants served the food plated on polished tableware, on after another. The people around the table were also dressed in colourful outfits
——

It felt like the entire hall was shining brilliantly and it was blinding.

I guess I could be considered the main character of today so I was seated on a special seat. However, the groom who should be by my side was nowhere to be seen.
A while ago, he left with a group of his friends to, I know not where. Since I was left behind, I had a lot of free time on my hands (though I probably shouldn’t be). Hence, I made the reluctant Theresa come to my seat to distract me from my loneliness.


「This marriage to an upper-class noble is killing me. The Duke has been brushing me aside this entire day since we met in the morning.」
「It’s a marriage the Duke offered to our family multiple times. It should be important to him.」
「Is that so? But it felt like he was reluctant to get married.」
「Stop being so pessimistic. More than that, we have to continue what we were doing before.」


Then, Theresa took out the party seating chart.


「Eh—… more?」
「We should do it now while we have the time.」


As she said that, Theresa read out the list of attendees in sequence while looking at the seating chart.


「Seated on the second table from the right is Count Danker and his Countess. Followed by President Saffan of the Royal Academy. Next is… Come, please repeat the list.」
「Count and Countess Danker, President Saffan…」


I reluctantly repeated the names as instructed by Theresa while familiarising myself with their faces.

From now on, I’ll have many more opportunities to interact with these key figures as the Duchess. However, as I did come from a countryside noble family, I do not know of the names and faces of these important people.
In Theresa’s words, these could pose a problem in the future. Thus the reason why we’re doing this.


「I will only be accompanying you for a week, Lady Katrea. After that, you’ll have to face these nobles yourself.」
「Uwu… I know, that’s why I’m doing as you tell me to.」
「Then please be more spirited about it. After all, Lady Katrea's memory isn’t that great.」


Feels like something mean was mixed into her words. But I had to do as she said.


Theresa was a veteran maid that had been serving the Baltic family ever since I was born. This time she specifically left our territory and came to the Duke’s castle to accompany me during my wedding and take care of the matters related to me. What’s more, even Father, her master was returning home today, yet she’ll be staying in this unfamiliar place for a week. I can’t go against her.

Thus, however boring this name recognition game was, I continued with it.


「Lieutenant-general Glover, Vice Commander of the Knights, Lord Robert, and the Duke’s teacher in swordsmanship, Lord Phillard——Aiya, that gentleman1 is quite amazing.」


My attention was drawn to the man known as Lord Phillard. He looked to be about 50 years old, but his body was tight. There wasn’t a single loose spot on his body. He gave off the aura of a cautious and meticulous person. If I were to enter his range of attack, I’d definitely be split into two with one strike——that was how intense and impressive he felt to me.

Although I was forbidden from learning martial arts by Father and Grandmother, perhaps in the Baltic blood in my veins, my sense always tingled when met with such capable men.


「There are rumours that Lord Phillard will be appointed as the next Commander of the Knights. He is the most skilled at the sword in the country, after all.」
「Theresa, you know so much about that…」


What’s with the difference in our information when we both came from the countryside?


I wondered at I looked to that gentleman again. Then, I noticed a young man standing next to him. From his movements, I could tell that he’s a swordsman like Lord Phillard. He’s quite a good-looking man as well. And that handsome man was having a friendly conversation with a familiar-looking muscular man. Oh, it’s BrotherTris. Ah ah, only Brother Tris gets to interact with handsome guys. How sly of him.


「...Lady Katrea.」


Theresa tapped on my shoulder to awaken me from my daze. My eyes were accidentally glued onto the fine-looking man. I am a young girl, after all, it’s normal for me to react to an excellent man like that.

I hurriedly turned back to face the front and a well-dressed middle-aged couple was standing in front of me. They bowed to me with plastered on smiles.


「Congratulations on your marriage, Lady Katrea.」
「Uh, yes, thank you erhm
「They are Count and Countess Rosner, Duke Crusseld’s maternal relatives.」


I was immensely grateful for the words Theresa whispered in my ear as I bowed as elegantly as I could. Something like this should be handled as a couple. Where on earth did the Duke go?

It seemed like Count Rosner had the same thing on his mind as he pretended to look around dramatically.


「Hmm, I don’t see the groom anywhere… Where did Crusseld go?」
「His excellency has left to greet his friends. I suppose he’ll return soon.」


That was praise-worthy of me, I helped properly excused my husband.
However, the Rosner couple stared at the vacant seat beside me meaningfully and started a pretentious conversation.


「Geez, how could he leave his bride aside like that.」
「Perhaps he was nervous, after all, he didn’t agree to any of the marriages offered to him.」
「Indeed, I got quite a surprise when I suddenly received news that Crusseld was getting married.」
「Likewise. He was introduced to the ladies from prestigious families like Count Lorum, Count Patio from the frontier, Marquis Glover and Marquis Claudio… but he didn’t express any interest in them. Though I suppose it makes sense when he has such a lovely lover. He couldn’t just switch and become attracted to another woman.」
「Hahaha…」



Just to clarify, I am most definitely not some peerless beauty. Although I don’t think I looked bad. I looked good enough for me to look in the mirror and say「I looked quite good today」or「I’m actually pretty cute」.
Anyways, I know I’m not beautiful enough to be compared to all these famous upper-class princesses2
.

Which meant that Countess Rosner was bullying me in a roundabout way. Reading in between the lines, she likely meant「Why did the Duke push aside all these distinguished beauties and settle for dregs like you?」

Though I can’t deny the possibility of her having bad eyesight.


「How did you get to know Crusseld? I don’t think I’ve heard of any interactions between the two of you.」
「I’d like to know how you got acquainted as well. Was it through another’s introduction? Or perhaps you have relatives that have a close relationship with the Duke?」
「Please, tell us when the two of you started dating.」
「And when the topic of marriage came up.」


The Rosner couple was smiling but the sharp glint of scrutiny in their eyes as they questioned me was clear as day. In short, they approached me to get these answers from me. Although the atmosphere had become interrogative, I don’t know why the Duke chose me either. Thus I could respond with a smile.
While both sides faced each other fake smiles, a clear voice sounded from beside me.


「Well, what are you talking about?」
「Ah… ah ah, Serenia…」


Count Rosner became flustered like he was trying to cover up something he bowed at the owner of the voice.

In this brilliant hall, a young girl whose beauty was just as dazzling appeared.
It was Serenia Vrag, the younger sister of Duke Crusseld Vrag. Following behind her was the head of servants of the Vrag family, the Duke’s secretary, Butler Faro.
Even just by standing there, the combination of this gorgeous goddess of a lady and butler with a sophisticated air, was enough to overwhelm anyone.


「Nothing much, just some casual small talk.」
「Is that so? However, it’s not too good for you to monopolise the bride. I’ve been holding in all the words I wish to say to you, dearest Sister-in-law3 
as well.」
「Hahaha well, that won’t do. Then, we’ll be taking our leave.」


As if they were being pushed back by an overwhelming force, the Rosner couple returned to their seats like they were running away.
Watching as they left, Lady Serenia sighed.


「...I’m sorry, Sister. Did they make you uncomfortable?」
「N-No, thank you for helping me.」


Lady Serenia shook her head and that same silver hair as the Duke on her head fluttered lightly. I could smell the slight fragrance of osmanthus in the air.


Being called Sister by such a pretty young girl made my heart race a little.


「You don’t have to thank me for that. More than that, where did my brother go? How could he leave you alone at the banquet…」
「If you’re looking for His Grace, he’s catching up with his friends in the small hall.」


Butler Faro’s immediate answer caused Lady Serenia’s expression to darken.


「Ah, he must be with the Knights again. I will go tell him off and bring him back.」
「It’s ok, I can go.」


I immediately stopped the angry yet still adorable Lady Serenia before she could storm away. While Theresa who had been quietly standing by my side suddenly uttered「Eh」


「Lady Katrea, you can’t be using this as an excuse to escape, can you?」
「I had no such plans. I have some queries for the Duke as well.」


Theresa looked at me with distrust in her eyes, but it’s the truth. Being prompted by the encounter with Count Rosner and his wife, I was once again concerned about his reason for marrying me. I was just going about my life as per normal and I highly doubt the Duke would have ever heard of the name of a low-ranking noble from a remote area like our family. So why me?

No matter how much I asked Father, I couldn’t get a satisfactory answer. If that’s the case, then I’ll just have to ask the man himself.


Perhaps everyone thought that it’d be insensitive to intrude upon a conversation between newlyweds or maybe they just didn’t want to be roped into any trouble. As such, they just silently watch me make my way to the small hall without approaching me.

I headed for the small hall, tugging on my heavy bridal gown as I followed Butler
Faro’s instructions. The small hall is actually an entertainment room where people can play chess and billiards. As expected of a high-ranking noble, to even have a room just for play. My parent’s home
——no, I should stop comparing my parent’s home with this place.

Exiting from the hall where the party was held, I found the thick wooden, oak doors leading to the small hall. Along the hallway, servants were rushing about, but everyone was too busy and they didn’t seem to notice me.

I was afraid of just barging in out of nowhere, so I decided to lean against the door and eavedrop for the time being.


「Let us give another toast to congratulate our friend on his marriage!」


I could hear the sound of a group of men being boisterous and the sound of glasses clinking.


「Yah! You finally got married as well. Even though you’ve been saying that you weren’t interested in marriage. What’s with the change of heart?」


The voice sounded unfamiliar to me, but the 'you' was most possibly referring to the Duke. It was a topic that definitely aroused my interest.
I pressed my ear against the door and after a short pause, a low voice replied.


「It’s because everyone around me was nagging at me to get married. Some people would visit me every day to pester me about it. I simply got annoyed and tired of it so I found a suitable candidate and went through the motions of getting married.」
「Even if you say ‘suitable’, isn’t that lady from a countryside aristocratic family. Just from status alone, she can’t be considered a ‘suitable’ partner can she? There must be other reasons for choosing her.」
「Nothing much really. I just thought it’d be easier to marry a submissive and sturdy country bumpkin that’s not really all that bright rather than those haughty, scheming aristocratic ladies. Plus she’s a warrior’s daughter so she probably won’t spoil so easily if I made her have 2 or 3 kids.」
「Even if you call them warriors, their ancestors were just barbarians turned mercenaries. Doesn’t the bride’s father look like a bandit?」
「You better be careful Crusseld. If you don’t guard against them, all the precious items might be stolen and your mansion might be wiped clean before you know it. And you have left the daughter of a bandit. You have a lot to lose.」


Followed by an outburst of vile laughter.

I clenched my trembling fist in anger and silently peeled away from the door.
If it were any other day, I would have charged in and beat them up in an angry frenzy. However, the unfamiliar tightness of the wedding gown kept me calm.

There were many high-ranking nobles gathered here today. If I were to make a big fuss it would most definitely drag Father’s (and maybe Brother's) name in the mud.

In the end, I somehow managed my way back to the party after eavesdropping on the Duke and his friends.


「Aiya, Lady Katrea, where’s the Duke?」


Theresa asked while glancing behind me. I simply shook my head wordlessly. I feel like once I opened my mouth, all these emotions would come exploding out.

——Ah」


Theresa made a surprised expression at the space behind me. Following her line of sight, I found the Duke standing behind me. Well, he came back surprisingly early.


「...」
「...」


The Duke looked down at me with a stern expression.

How nice would it be if I had just scorned him there and then? But my mind had blanked out as my body trembled in rage.
I could only stare back at him expressionlessly.




1. Previously translated as Oji-sama
2. Previously translated as ohime-samas
3. Previously translated as Gishi-sama. It might be a bit confusing, but I've decided to just use Sister for all subsequent translations

Please feedback to me in the comments below if you find any typos or terrible grammar, etc that you think I should change. Or maybe you think my interpretation is completely off lol Help me help you have a better reading experience ahahah what a tongue twister XD
Thank yous!! (˶‾᷄ ⁻̫ ‾᷅˵)

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and have a great day!!

You can support me by sending some love in the comments or through the button below


peace lilies~

lilies

I'm a mega weeb who just wants to share some online novels I've read and maybe translate some of them to english along the way. I do not guarantee the accuracy of my translations.

2 Comments

  1. Thank soo much!!! >.< you're amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaa! This is great so far!!! :D I like this. I'm curious, though! Is the duke the one who's actually saying that stuff or is someone mimicking him? That is the question! If that is him, he's a piece of freaking work, hecc.

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post