Muimui-tan Volume 2 Chapter 8

Volume 2 Chapter 8 - Dismantling



―1―

We passed through the forest and came back to the village. The destination we were headed for was, of course, the Adventurer’s Guild.
And naturally, the little girl was waiting for us in the Adventurer's Guild.


「Did you defeat the Forest Rat, Insect?」
『Yeah, I did. Here, take a look.』 


I took out the carcass of the Horned Rat from my leather backpack and placed it on the counter. Its blood had already dried so there wasn’t any flowing out.
The little girl held up her plate as before and I could see the same plate held under her hand. 


「It has yet to be dismantled; have it taken apart at the money exchange counter.」
 Oh yeah, right.
「Take this with you.」


The little girl took out a completed tag from under the counter. Oh, you’re giving this to me before I’m even done?


「All that’s left is just taking apart the rat. I think you’ll have a hard time at first, but all the best to you. Well then, see you tomorrow.」  


After saying that, Ula-san took his leave. Thank you for today as well, Ula-san.
I placed the carcass of the Horned Rat that’s on the counter back into my leather bag, took the completion tag, and went over to the money exchange counter.


『I have a completion tag with me, please accept it.』 


Then, I handed the tag to the receptionist lady1.


「Ah, it’s the Horned Rat Hunting Quest, how nostalgic. So you want to have it dismantled, yes? This way please.」  


Was there a workshop in the back? A dismantling station? Either way, I followed behind her as she led me inside.


「Gonzales-sa~n, please confirm the dismantling.」


The receptionist lady called out to Gonzales-san who was probably working on dismantling in the back.
To my surprise, a young elf appeared. Ah, so this was the Treefolk huh…


「Nice to meet you, I’m Gonzales Scarlett Suirou. You can just call me Gonzales.」  
(lilies: I feel like TLing Suirou as Swissroll…)


Gonzales-san suddenly gasped aloud when he saw me.


「Y-You’re the stellar beast-sama who’s the hot topic of the day!」


Wow, am I becoming more famous than I thought? Hmm, seems like it isn’t all that good for me to become an adventurer despite being a monster.


『Nice to meet you, I am a stellar beast known as the Lord of Blizzards.』  
「Yes, it’s my pleasure! Let us get to dismantling.」


 At Gonzales-san’s words, I put five Horned Rats onto the table. 
 Now, it's time to get down to business.



―2―

「It’s too late now but it’s best for you to just drain the blood and remove the magic stone immediately after you’ve hunted it.」
『May I ask why?』
「First of all, the blood should be drained, otherwise, the meat will simply taste bad if there’s still blood. Though of course, it isn’t a must to drain it if the meat is not edible or for consumption. As for removing the magic stone right away; it is to avoid damaging it. It’s still alright if it’s just a Horned Rat, but it’s a shame for the value of the magic stone from a magical beast you defeated to drop simply because of a reason like that.」   


I see…


「Let’s start by taking out the magic stone first. In most cases, the magic stone will be found near the heart of magical beasts regardless of the type of beast, so let’s cut open the stomach of the beast and have a look.」  


Ooh, was it finally starting?
I fixed the carcass of the Horned Rat in place with a magic thread and put the iron knife I got from the Adventurer's Guild on the chest of the body. The knife cut through the skin into the stomach, all the way to the point I could see the heart.
Then, I found a tiny black stone around the heart.


「Do you see it? That’s a magic stone. Basically, the more powerful the beast, the bigger the stone. Also, because there are so many ways to use magic stones, there’s always a need for them and the demand will never go away. 」  


So I suppose the magic stones are used as kind of fuel. I think I can understand that point rather well.
I stuck my hand in and pulled out the stone from the sticky flesh.
(lilies: hand? all i can see is teenyweeny doraemon bumps XD)


『By the way, what’s the value of this magic stone?』
「To be honest, there isn’t much value to magic stones from a Horned Rat. It's about 160 yen at best, and about 120 yen normally.」 


So about 15 to 20 pieces of crushed coins… Frankly speaking, I’m not that happy to get them since coins are so bulky. Although it might be good for those who were for avid collectors of coins.


「Now that we’re done with the bare minimum… Next is the actual dismantling process.」


Urghhh. That’s pretty tough. 


「Firstly, let’s remove all the internal organs from the hole you just made. You can put the organs that you’ve taken out in this box. If you’re doing the dismantling outside, you can just leave it wherever.」  


I did as I was told and scraped out the entrails. Ugh, it’s so gross. This is too hard for a kid from the modern world like me. Speaking of which, it would appear that this world did not have a culture of consuming internal organs.


「Next step is to remove the horns, skin it and cut out the flesh.」


The horn came off with a snap; the feeling was quite similar to a bone. 
It was hard to get the skin off and it gave me quite the struggle, but though the skin became disfigured beyond recognition, I finally managed to get it off and cut up the meat. 


「Alright, that’s it. You must be tired. Most adventurers leave the dismantling to the exchange counter, but it’s still a good skill to learn as you don’t want to miss out on a meal because you can’t dismantle the catch during your adventurers. That’s why you have to go through the dismantling process at least once.」   


I think I’ve somehow managed to finish my first dismantling. Life… Thank you so much!


『Now, we’ll have to handle the remaining four, right?』
「Of course.」


Gonzales-san said with a huge smile on his face.  Ugh, I wouldn’t have hunted four more if I had known better.


「But come to think of it, this is rather surprising. I thought that as a former magical beast, Ard-san2 would be able to do this with a straight face, but I can feel you trembling even from here.」 


That’s because I’m a modern kid.
In any case, despite taking some time, I managed to dismantle the four remaining bodies.


『I-I’m done… 』
「Yes, you did a great job. With this, the quest is completed. Oh right, if you’d like, I can cast a cleaning spell on your backpack. From the next time onwards, I will be charging a fee of 640 yen each time, but for now, I’ll give you the service as a freebie.」  


Oh, that’s great!3 This Clean Magic was probably that—at least based on what I can gather from his words. 
I passed the leather bag to Gonzales-san.

——[Clean]——

The magic activated and any dirt on the bag could be seen falling off at once. Even the bloodstains stuck on the bag faded away without a trace. Wow, now that was a magic I definitely want to learn. It’s also a waste to spend 1 copper coin each time.


 Quest reward: 640 yen
 Horned Rat meat: 5 x 320 yen = 1600 yen
 Horned Rat horn: 5 x 120 yen = 600 yen
 Horned Rat magic stone: 5 x 120 = 600 yen
 Cleaning service: Free

 Total: 3,440 yen

Which was 5 copper coins and 30 pieces of crushed money4. I gathered all the crushed money and exchanged for 1 copper coin.

The meat was purchased for half the usual price because I didn’t drain the blood, but this didn’t happen when we hunted for Hares because I had Ula-san with me.  Perhaps Ula-san wanted me to learn that’s why he didn’t tell me to drain the blood even though he knew the price would be halved. 

Although it was just some small amount of money, I'm still grateful that he's willing to buy the horn. But come to think of it, what’s the use of a horn that looked like a piece of bone?
Anyway, the reward today is less than what we collected yesterday. Could an adventurer even live like this? As expected, power was still the way to go. Well, it’s still a beginner quest that’s why it’s like this, that’s why…

Oh right, let’s get the exchange counter to buy this. 
I went back to the counter and asked the receptionist lady if she could buy a『Handmade Bag (S)』


「Hmm, that’s an unusual bag… Please give me a moment.」 


I transferred all the things in that bag such as『pieces of the world tree leaves』and other items into the leather bag. I can put them in the leather bag because it’s all nice and clean now. 

In the end, the『Handmade Bag (S)』was sold for 20480 yen or 4 silver coins. I could probably make a better living as a bag maker but when I think about the amount of time and effort it took to make one bag, even 4 silver coins were not worth my while. Well, I’m still going to sell it.


On my way back from the money exchange counter, I bought a large shoulder bag at a street stall. It cost me 1 silver coin… but it was very convenient as it had many pockets so I could put all kinds of things.
Then, let’s stop by a clothing store to get the spare vests and gowns. I wonder if I could keep those extra clothes at the inn.


1. Can be transliterated to receptionist nee-san
2. Based on the raws, it should be Ran which is like the back part of his name so I decided to take "Ard" from Blizzard"
3. Written as "お、それは願ってもない。" so it's more like "oh, I couldn't ask for any better."
4. Written as "潰銭" bruh send halp for alternatives ahahah

Not picking up but just a bump I guess for a novel I recently started reading :> I went into the novel with no expectations whatsoever but so far it's surprisingly cute?? (′ꈍωꈍ‵) I can totally see why the previous TLs dropped it but it's completed now, so the author prolly made all the necessary typo edits lol

Hopefully, someone picks this up!

Please feedback to me in the comments below if you find any typos or terrible grammar, etc that you think I should change. Or maybe you think my interpretation is completely off lol Help me help you have a better reading experience ahahah what a tongue twister XD
Thank yous!! (˶‾᷄ ⁻̫ ‾᷅˵)

You can support me by sending some love in the comments or through the button below


peace lilies~

lilies

I'm a mega weeb who just wants to share some online novels I've read and maybe translate some of them to english along the way. I do not guarantee the accuracy of my translations.

4 Comments

  1. thanks for the bump, i read that long ago and was frustrated that nobody continued translating it, so i finished reading it with google translate

    and i must say... i'm not fond of the twist at the end, and the truth behind the reincarnation and the world, i find it very dissatisfying, but unique

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little late i guess but it seems that the crushed coins were described as crushed iron in a previous chapter. I have 0 experience in Japanese but maybe substitute it with iron coins?

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post