Another BL Reading list


Pretty spoiler-ish, proceed at your own risk 
[Edited 10/08/2024]

A new list because the previous one is a little messy lmaoo 

If anyone's interested in any of the books in this list I might pick it up!!

You might find that some stories are quite similar, it's really just my preference. My tastes have changed slightly since the previous reading list and I started to really enjoy those long-ass xianxia BL novels though I'm still not into QT lol ( ՞ ܸ. .ܸ՞ )


    {tocify} $title={Table of Contents}

    Chinese Fantasy

    Basically anything xianxa, xuanhuan, or wuxia

    穿越之炮灰男配 by 叶忆落 (has translation)

    My Rating: 3.3 🌸
    Summary: Mu Chen lay on his bed in deep thought. What should one do after transmigrating into the body of a second-rate man who, according to the original novel, backed out of his marriage for a white lotus, threw his money away for a white lotus, fought to the death with the male lead for a white lotus, and eventually got his father killed and died!?

    Review: One of the first novels I've read from Ye Yiluo! I found this novel when I was in my book transmigration phase and I had so much fun, it was the first time I decided to check out an author's other works. The world she built is fairly fun and interesting and I really liked the concept with the original MC. However, I must say this story wasn't very good for rereading. Reading it for the first time was ok because everything was really fast-paced and you don't really have time to pick at the details. But when I read it a second time, it wasn't quite as enjoyable as the first, especially now that I actually have the time to take in and process the terrible relationship between ML's (shou) maternal grandfathers. I think younger me would've really liked the noncon/dubcon aspect but older me is not impressed.

    As for the MC (gong) and ML (shou), I'd say this is one of the few rare instances where there's actually some (like basically crumbs) romance in a Ye Yiluo book lmao The main characters also have a little bit more personality to them compared to her other novels where even the main characters kind of fade into the background against the plot.

    穿书之你改人生 by 叶忆落 (has translation)

    My Rating: 4.9 🌸
    Summary: Chu Ye, an older single man, accidentally travelled to a world where soul pet masters were kings and hegemons while reading a novel.
    After transmigration, Chu Ye found that he had become an insignificant cannon fodder in the novel. This cannon fodder coveted the beauty of the heroine, drugged the heroine, and was killed with a sword.
    According to the trajectory in the book, he will die soon.
    Chu Ye made a quick decision and chose a completely different path from the cannon fodder in the book.

    Review: I think that this is a great novel to pass time with! I've reread it multiple times and each time I'm done I can't help but wonder why it's so short (it has 620 chaps…) laughdieme 

    You can definitely think of the story as Chinese fantasy-style pokemon. I love the spirit pets and the banter they have with MC. They really are the MVP in this story, so much more character and personality than the MCs ꉂ(≧▽≦)
    I definitely recommend reading this story if you're looking for some good cultivation. 
    It's close to perfect. It's got that nice face-slapping and levelling-up that I love from the action genre without the dumb harem plot (¬_¬) Only reason it's not a 5/5 is because it's too short AHAHAH

    1 complaint that I see people have with Ye Yiluo is that sometimes she's really writing rubbish to make the wordcount (❁˃́ᴗ˂̀)
    Here's an example: 楚烨和林初文从洞府之中出来之后,发现他们现在处在天海域一个叫天闲岛的岛上。   天海域一共有三十六个岛屿,分别是天魁岛,天罡岛,天机岛,天闲岛,天勇岛,天雄岛,天勐岛,天威岛,天英岛,天贵岛,天富岛,天满岛,天孤岛,天伤岛,天立岛,天捷岛,天暗岛,天佑岛,天空岛,天速岛,天异岛,天杀岛,天微岛,天究岛,天退岛,天寿岛,天剑岛,天竟岛,天罪岛,天损岛,天败岛,天牢岛,天慧岛,天暴岛,天哭岛,天巧岛。
    Play a game of spot the difference lol

    神棍下山记 by 叶忆落 (no translation)

    My Rating: 3 🌸
    MTL Summary: Jiang Shaobai grew up following his charlatan master, learning some skills in face reading and ghost hunting from a semi-immortal master. Having seen his master often mistaken for a con artist, Jiang Shaobai deeply felt that the profession of a celestial master had run its course. He decided to pursue a career as a civil servant. After studying diligently and making great efforts, Jiang Shaobai was finally admitted to a prestigious university, embarking on the path to becoming a civil servant. However, he soon encountered a series of supernatural events...

    Review: When it comes to Ye Yiluo's stories, I think you'd notice that her MC is typically the gong while the ML is typically the shou, not that it matters since there really isn't much romance most of the time. Her characters often quickly go into old couple mode and most of the focus is on the plot. But this one I was really confused. I felt like the MCs just suddenly got together and suddenly they love each other so much they would die for one another.

    I'd say the MC of this novel is a more toned-down version of the MC from the next title on this list. But honestly, I felt that this novel was a bit of a scam. Based on the title and the synopsis, I was expecting it to be more of a ghosts and supernatural type of cultivation; like she even gave the MC this ability to eat ghosts but that ended up being kinda useless? Because eventually, all the fun supernatural stuff I was expecting got thrown out the window and we just got a basic cookie-cutter cultivation story. The conclusion to this story was also felt kinda rushed and just very meh in general even though it's supposed to be some big reveal…

    穿越之弃子横行 by 叶忆落 (has translation)

    My Rating: 1 🌸
    Summary: “I want to marry him!”
    “Young Master Ye, that person is a rich second generation, a third generation of a founding family, a famous noble son of Beijing. He will not marry you.”
    “Why not? I’m handsome and smart, with a hundred strategies in one step!”
    “Young Master Ye, Young Master Bai is not someone you can covet.”

    Review: I really really did not like the MC for this novel. ୧(๑•̀ᗝ•́)૭ He is so insufferable. Could not finish the novel.

    两界种田大亨 by 叶忆落 (has translation)

    My Rating: 4 🌸
    Summary: To make a fortune, start by farming in two worlds.

    Review: It's still at 1300+ chaps and still ongoing and I'll say I'm enjoying this one. I feel like this novel is a combination of all her previous cultivation novels and the dynamic of the MCs is quite similar to the one from "Transmigrating Into a Book and Changing Your Life" which was something I enjoyed. And this time, instead of banter from the spirit pets, we have two fairies, a butterfly, and an ant. 

    I'd say the only issue with this story is the author's random misogyny for whatever reason. Makes me wonder if she experienced something in real life because, especially in the earlier chapters, there have been female characters that exist for the sole reason of acting and being condemned as selfish gold diggers or cheaters and she would use somewhat nasty words to describe them… (ᵕ—ᴗ—)

    穿越之修仙 by 衣落成火 (has translation)

    My Rating: 3 🌸
    Summary:
    Within the Immortal Realm, there were nine thousand major realms, with three thousand at the top, three thousand in the middle, and three thousand at the bottom, along with countless minor realms.

    In Xu Ziqing’s previous life, he was sickly. In this life, he originally thought about passing his days freely amongst the scenery in between the mountains and rivers, but unexpectedly, the year he turned thirteen years old, in just a single morning, his life became a fantasy.

    If your body had Spiritual Roots, then you had to set foot on the path to immortality. If you were unwilling to do so, you would become a rock under someone else’s foot. Thus, he could only push forward against the currents trying to push him backward, repeatedly overcoming the obstacles in his way.

    Under the Tianzun, all were insects. Xu Ziqing’s life was like dust, but he wanted to hold fast to his sense of self, following his heart to pursue his Path, turning his body into one like a kunpeng’s, quickly advancing, and travelling everywhere underneath the nine skies!

    Review: I guess technically it should fall under the "Transmigration" category, but I feel the cultivation aspect is a bigger plot point. I think this novel is the author's first cultivation-type novel and I heard her later cultivation novels all follow this general flow of travelling from a minor world - bottom world - middle world - top world. 

    The world-building for her cultivation novels is great but one thing I will say is that if you started off with Ye Yiluo, you'd be bored out of your mind with this author. Her pacing is so so slow; Ye Yiluo feels like fast food. The plot itself is ok and the characters have actual depth to them but the romance was too much of a slow-burn for me, though apparently, the burn is even worse for "I Have Medicine" ahhaha Please, I thought Ye Yiluo was bad enough with the way she was filling in words to hit that sweet sweet wordcount for money but gosh is this author even worse. She likes writing in circles to seem poetic but it's basically 3-4 sentences telling you the exact same thing which completely messes with the pacing. After reading works by Ye Yiluo I was looking high and low for super long cultivation danmei and even though this author's works kept being recommended, I couldn't bring myself to start another book by her…

    I finished the novel but can I really say I finished it when I listened to it using text-to-speech but kept falling asleep while listening…

    Transmigration

    Definition according to Cambridge: the act of passing into another body after death. 
    But for me, I'll place anything that involves travelling through time and space to a different world under this category 
    ( ̄ω ̄;)

    重生成猎豹 by 来自远方 (no translation)

    My Rating: 5 🌸
    MTL Summary:
    Luo Qiao transmigrated from 21st-century Earth to the vast grasslands of the Losha Planet. He became a male cheetah known as an "evolved species."

    To survive and raise his offspring, he raced against cheetahs, climbed trees better than leopards, fought for territory with lions, and brawled with hyenas. Whatever needed to be done, Luo Qiao did it all...

    This is the arduous struggle of a cheetah working hard to support his family!

    Review: I LOVE THE FAMILY ASPECT OF THIS STORY!! 

    This is so different from your usual transmigration story which usually deals with villains or original MCs; this is actual ANIMAL PLANET. This is survival. 
    When reading this novel, I really felt like I was watching Animal Planet or like I was actually in the Savanna with the MC. All the animal characteristics are captured and weaved in really well to the story. 

    MC is a weirdo in this animal world because he still retains some human sensibilities which led to him adopting two orphaned cheetahs even though he's a male, turning him into the gossip of the town. Some of the animals on this planet are also able to take a humanoid form and even more silly shenanigans happened when MC first transformed. You really have to read it yourself and immerse yourself in the story.
     
    Okay but if you're the type that doesn't like it if any or both of the main characters are not virgins. This is not the novel for you. Because ML is a black panther who has a child with a female leopard by the time we meet him. But they don't affect the relationship between MC and ML anyways, since in the animal kingdom, males are just sperm donors, and once they're done, the mothers may even view them as a threat the the babies. 

    Supernatural

    For the non-human things that don't really fall under cultivation

    灵异怪谭之人间鬼味 by 躺下爷压 (no translation)

    My Rating: 3.5 🌸
    MTL Summary:
    Although Qi Mu had been able to see those drifting entities since childhood, he still lived a calm and leisurely life. But why have the number of ghosts visiting him recently increased?

    Especially after that old charlatan said he would encounter a major change this month, he met someone with extraordinary talents. Moreover, that person efficiently completed the transformation from living to dead.

    Did the change have to be so intense? And they even mentioned some unusual compatibility in their birth charts?

    Qi Mu could no longer remain calm. Should he start pondering whether these events were coincidences from the beginning or...

    Review: Nothing fantastic, but not bad. It has ghosts, but it's more heartwarming than it is scary. Plus points 'cause there's an adorable doggie (or maybe two) ૮⍝• ᴥ •⍝ა Mellow and nice slice of life; good for passing time when you've run out of books to read.

    我那吃不饱的丈夫 by 莫心伤 (no translation)

    My Rating: 4 🌸
    MTL Summary:
    An Le transmigrated into a book, becoming the young bride to be married off to a wealthy but sickly young master to bring him luck. Fine, he thought, he'll wait for the young master to kick the bucket and then run off with the money. But just a few days after their wedding, the young master jumped out of bed, tore apart the shadow lurking behind An Le with his bare hands, sprinkled it with aged vinegar and crushed peanuts, and ate it along with their wedding toast.

    An Le: ……
    A closer look at the original book revealed it was a supernatural novel!
    An Le: Can we get a divorce?
    Big Shot: Don’t even think about it. If we divorce, I'll starve to death.
    ------
    To capture a man's heart, you must first fill his stomach.
    This "XXX" ghost's flavour is quite good, and the meat of "XXX" beast is tender and juicy.
    Knowing how to pick fresh ingredients and satisfy a picky husband is an art.
    The Big Shot scooped up An Le, who was busy studying recipes: "You're the most delicious."

    Reading Guide:
    1. The protagonist is like a human-shaped lollipop that non-humans want to lick, while the powerful boss catches magical creatures by eating them.
    2. This is a gourmet story where the protagonist is in charge of attracting, and the boss is in charge of eating, as they enjoy food and drinks while physically exorcising non-humans.
    3. A non-typical transmigration story; the details of how the transmigration happened will be explained later.

    Review: This one was quite a fun read. The author's writing is good and fairly funny. This is a story that can be scary when it wants to but of course, things do get resolved quite nicely in the end.  

    Kinda reminds me a little of "I and My Husband Sleep in a Coffin" but I'd say this one is better in terms of writing and characters? Though this one is definitely more on the slice-of-life side so if you're looking for adventure this might not be the one

    Anyways, MVP is definitely the rooster ahhaha he's such a cutie

    和老虎先生闪婚的日子 by 莫心伤 (no translation)

    My Rating: 4.2 🌸
    MTL Summary:
    1. Officer Miao had a flash marriage with Mr. Wang, a single father. Mr. Wang, aside from being a bit too handsome, was an ordinary good guy, and his five-year-old child was well-behaved. Their married life was polite and distant (cold), but they made do. It’s not like they could get a divorce, right?
    But one day, Miao Xu came home to find a tiger in a suit holding a cub in its mouth. Miao Xu thought, “There’s no way we can just make do with this anymore.”
    Nobody told him that getting married meant he could cuddle with a big cat!!!

    2. Everyone rushed to see what kind of little charmer the "Golden Bachelor" Mr Tiger had found this time. To their surprise, the tiger's new spouse turned out to be a police officer. The handsome and dashing Officer Miao was anything but weak. He easily tamed a two-meter-tall bear, a fluffy sled dog, and even a bad-tempered big white goose. Even the tiger cub clung to his uniform pants leg, refusing to let go.
    Officer Miao—a man who turned a cute pet story into an action movie.
    Meanwhile, the big tiger not only pretended to be poor and virtuous, but also donned an apron and learned to cook. Every day, he brought the cub along, wagging his tail as he hovered around his wife.
    Little tiger: Weak, pitiful, but hungry.
    Big tiger: Not weak, not pitiful, but definitely pettable.

    Review: Since this is the non-human category, thought I'd include a nekomimi hehe
    Super heart-warming and slice-of-life. In my head, they are two beefy men ꉨڡꉨ so that is very delish! AND THERE ARE KITTIES!! TWO OF THEM!! What more can you ask for? There's also a side couple (Lion CEO x Human Secretary) that appears from time to time from the author's other nekomimi story, "猫总裁的婚后日常". Kinda sad not many works by this author are being translated :<

    Smut

    Anything that doesn't draw the curtain on sexy scenes and we can enjoy them in all their glory ;>

    本王要身不要心 by 云上椰子 (has translation)

    My Rating: 4 🌸
    Summary:
    The asshole Grand Duke said to his Grand Duchess: I just want your body, who cares about your heart?

    Big Brute X Aloof Beauty

    Review: A solid 4  for some good old smut. Would be a 5 if the author wrote extras like she suggested she would but sighs
    It actually has more plot than one might expect and I've lost count of the number of times I've reread this story before bed (づ_ど) Which is why I decided to translate it, but damn was translating smut a goddamn nightmare 。°(°.◜ᯅ◝°)°。 like seriously why did I think I could do it when I was about cry when translating the few sexy scenes in SCI _(´ཀ`」 ∠) _
    There are some aspects to the story that I wish was better fleshed out, like the Shou's thoughts and feelings for example, but honestly what can you expect from pron laughdieme 
    Even the author was like: "it's pron, how much more story do you expect?" when she finished the story lot.

    影子先生 by Lindsay233 (no translation)

    My Rating: 4.2 🌸
    MTL Summary:
    A silly sweet story.
    The top is a non-human character—not a tentacled creature, nor a beastman, but a shadowy figure who sheds black ash, is rather bony (?), and has no facial features.
    It's that old trope—a story about raising a human.
    To clarify, non-humans in this world can take two forms, and here I've chosen one with a background similar to human societal structures.
    So, it's different from the non-human characters who completely lack human social traits (those are also great, non-human characters that are entirely unlike humans—I’ll definitely write about them in the future).

    Tags: HE (Happy Ending), Sweet, Growth, Pet Romance, Long Novel, Non-human

    Review: It's not so much pron as it is kinda a cute diary about a non-human taking care of a human as a pet. I just love that finally, we have a non-humanxhuman novel where there isn't some magic translation system and they are actually unable to communicate with each other. This author actually has amazing world-building and I love the interesting settings that she gave her story and the non-human characters. Like the monster does get jealous of their child, but it actually justified and I guess you'll just have to read for yourself to find out HEHEXP And my favourite character has got to be the tentacle monster, and it's not for sexy reasons

    There is mpreg which is not listed under the tags by the author but small spoiler, they do manage to talk to each other for a while with the help of their child. 

    I would love to translate this story if I can access the latest extras. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to create an account on the website the author posts on.

    lilies

    I'm a mega weeb who just wants to share some online novels I've read and maybe translate some of them to english along the way. I do not guarantee the accuracy of my translations.

    Post a Comment

    Previous Post Next Post