Daraku no Ou and Nageki no Bourei Gushhh





So I was translating chapter 9 of Akuyaku Reijou wa, Shoumin ni Totsugitai!! and the specific names the author chose for the Seven Deadly Sins reminded me of the Daraku no Ou. And then I felt the urge to write about it.

Hands down a close second to Overlord to me, in terms of the story anyways. It's the first novel where I bought the hard-copy paperback fsvgksdbhjv

Sorry too excited lollol but I think it was my second dabble into Japanese Isekai Light Novels and the first series I bought the books for. Though I am kinda sorry to the author since I bought the Chinese-translated one and not the one in Japanese. It's just easier for me to read in Chinese, even if it's in Traditional Chinese zzzz And Taiwanese publications generally follow the same format as Japanese books. You know the vertical, right to left shit :> (side note: did you know the artist for Daraku no Ou is a hentai artist hohoho)


Ok, enough about my paperbacks (I just wanted to brag idk why hahaha XD I love the smell of books). Since I read books to pass time, I generally don't have high expectations for the story. Like how my only criteria for villainess reincarnations, etc is just brainless and fluffy. My only criteria for the shounen genre is world-building.
 I stop reading a lot of the other shounen isekai works because the world-building in those stories are quite boring and run-of-the-mill. 

I'm the type that doesn't really care for the style of writing which I think for these two books I'll be writing about today may be a major turn off for some.

Like Overlord, for example, the chapters are long and rather slow-paced. And the focus isn't always on the MC, sometimes it shifts to introduce the side characters and maybe side plots. That really put me off at first, but I've grown to enjoy it? Personally, I think it really broadens our perspective of the world and we're not restricted to what the MC sees/hears. It also lets us see how the rest of the world feels about and interacts with the MC from a more objective(?) POV.

I grouped Daraku no Ou together with Nageki no Bourei 'cause I just realised they were written by the same author. I guess it explains a lot why I enjoy both works. Let's start with Daraku no Ou.



It's a really short novel with only 16 chapters. What really drew me into Daraku no Ou was the fact that someone could literally sleep their way to the top. It's like the literal meaning of this Chinese phrase '躺赢' lollol 
OH HOW I WISH THAT WORLD ACTUALLY EXISTS ∠( ᐛ 」∠)_ 

The MC was a corporate slave. He worked for those black(?) companies, died from being overworked and reincarnated in the new world with the ultimate goal of sleeping. The MC is OP (obviously), but he also had to 'train' by sleeping because he's a demon of sloth. Idk, it's just kinda fun to me that they level up by giving in to their desires which is dictated by their nature (one of the 7 sins). And not just pure evil for the sake of being evil. Or like succubus tings -.-  
There's also a really cute nod to isekai tropes where the Demon Lord (MC) has a Hero dedicated to him. Though I will say having an MC that really DGAF and just functions at his own pace is kinda a breath of fresh air in a genre over-saturated with white lily gary-sues type heroes and their stupid harem of single brain-celled girls. And I really really hate white lily characters with their hypocritical moral compass.

Basically, I just love having stories about anti-heroes and it's not because i'M eDgY. It's because they're flawed. They aren't so overly perfect that it's hard to relate to them. And it's not like the MC is completely without any merits. He does have some sense of responsibility.

Dammit Sensei!! Why did you just casually set this book aside and forgot all about it >:( Do you know how heartbroken I was when I saw his reply on some Q&A, "I read my drafts and I have no idea what the story is about anymore. So, yeh we'll just count it as completed." EXCUSE ME I AM SAD ಥ_ಥ 
Ok but in all honesty, I don't think where he stopped was too shitty. You can just take it as a typical Japanese opened ended kind of ending and it's pretty ok. 



Alright, on to the next book. 
When I first read Nageki no Bourei, I thought, "OMG I FOUND AN OVERLORD-ESQUE BOOK". They're not exactly the same, obviously, but I found some similarities that I really enjoyed. Firstly, the MC has low self-esteem (I relate TT_TT), but is actually a lot more capable than he thinks (I don't relate TT_TT). Though I guess it's understandable why he has such low self-esteem when his close friends are freaking monsters. Plus they do say that luck is also an ability so... 

Secondly, the gag where people misunderstand his intentions and read too much into his actions which often kinda leads to a "Sasuga Ainz-sama" situation happening. I found this really amusing in Overlord and it's just as funny to me in this novel. Sorry not sorry that my level of humour is pretty damn low lollol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The setting is also kinda like HunterxHunter? Where the characters risk their lives collecting treasures. And since I do actually enjoy this author's work, I don't particularly mind the pacing. The running gag of the MC's 'incompetence' that's often offset by his 'luck' is really my type of humour (it's shitty I know...). 


And to me, the MC is really not as useless and incapable as he thinks. Even though it may feel that way since we are reading from his perspective when he does things. Which is where the divergence to the other characters comes in handy. We get to see how the MC really is from an outside perspective. Ans a big plus point is that he's not super-duper OP. It does get tiring reading about all these OP at characters sometimes. Basically, the MC also kinda similar to Mukouda from Tondemo Skill, but more capable?


Anyways, I just wanted to brag about my book collection, disguised as a book review(?). I recently bought another set. All my monies fly away, damn sad but it's worth it I guess lol! If you're reading this, then you've finally made it to the end \(≧▽≦)/
So erhm... congrats on getting through this incoherent mess!!

I almost translated Nageki no Bourei cause nothing much related to the novel came up when I searched it up with the romaji. But then I found that someone's already translating it. And their speed and quality is so much better than whatever my lazy ass can put out, so I decided to do Shoumin instead, but that was picked up by also picked up before I could post my translations sighs Anywho, I read some a few chapters and it's pretty damn good!! So if you haven't read this and/or Daraku no Ou, please give it a shot (⊙v⊙)

I will probably write more incoherent crap gushing or ranting about other light novels in the future yay :)


peace lilies~


lilies

I'm a mega weeb who just wants to share some online novels I've read and maybe translate some of them to english along the way. I do not guarantee the accuracy of my translations.

1 Comments

  1. Can't believe that the cover for the lazy king was drawn by a hentai artist, it looks so good, guess that might be the reason why though ;). Also you say that this is your second favorite novel, only falling behind Overlord, so I would have to recommend something like dungeon defense for you, its a dark novel, where the protagonist is essentially a villain. But the part that draws me in the most is the thought that the mc puts into his actions. It makes it stand out above the rest in my opinion. IDK seems like something you might like. I know I'm necroing, but if you do manage to see this, have a great day, and thank you for what you do!

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post